Fanpage

A cold night of January

|

Monday, December 30, 2013

Title: A cold night of January
Fandom: ONE OK ROCK
Chapter: 1
Characters/Pairing: Taka/Stranger
Rating: all ages
Genre: mistery, friendship, slice of life.
Disclaimer: you may find a terrible grammar, be warned.
On a cold night of January, 16 years old Moriuchi Takahiro sat alone in the only bench near the frozen lake of the park. He stayed in silence for a few minutes, trying to clear the fog that clouded his mind. Things have been hard lately. The relationship with his father had gone nose diving, especially, since he drop out of school. His band was consuming most of his time. All the dancing, and photo shooting was fun, but he didn’t really feel like this was his “raison d’ĂȘtre”. “Nope, I need more. I can’t just stay here, and do whatever they tell me to”. He ran his fingers through his spikey copperish hair.
-Ugh, one day I’m going to get rid of it. I miss my black hair- he murmured with his high pitched husky voice.
-Yes, you should. I miss your black hair too. -  Takahiro oppressed a scream. His black beady eyes witnessed a tall onne-san sitting right beside him.
-Eeeehh??!! Whe… When…When did you…
-I’ve been here for a couple of minutes; I guess you were a bit distracted. I’ll leave if you want me to.
-Eh? No, please, don’t. This is a public park; you can sit wherever you want. I’ll leave.
-Hmmm… That would be a shame. I find your story very interesting.
-My story? … - Takahiro paid attention for the first time. She was definitely taller than him, with long and curly dark blonde hair, and a pair of big golden eyes. “Golden?  Nah, it must be the light of the park.” The whole scenario made her look like a character brought out of a fairy tales book.
-Yes, you’re Mori-chan, right? - Her smile revealed a set of crisp white  teeth.
-How do you…? Oh my God!! You’re a fan!!- He took a step away from the bench. –I’ll give you an autograph, but please, don’t follow me. - He hugged his body on a self-protecting attitude.
-Hey, relax! I don’t want an autograph, and I’m not a fan.
-Then, you’re a stalker!!
-Geez!! No, I’m not a stalker either!! Sit down, there’s no reason to panic.
- If you’re not a fan, or a stalker… Who are you? How do you know me? What do you want from me?
-Nothing. I want nothing from you.  I just happen to know you, and saw you look a bit troubled. I just thought I could help.
-But, how? How do you know me?
-I’m your friend. You just… don’t remember me. Yet.
-What?? That’s it!! You’re crazy!! I’m out!! – He zipped up his jacket and started walking.
-No, wait!!-  She walked right behind him.
-I’m not listening to you!! Stop following me or I’ll call the police!!
-You got to stop smoking!!- Said, almost breathless. Takahiro had already run about half of the lake’s length before stopping cold; and she seemed to have a hard time following the agile young man.
-What did you say?
-Quit smoking. It’ll ruin your voice.
Takahiro took a sniff out of his scarf. There wasn’t any trace of cigarette smoke, how could she know?
-It’s not the smell, don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone, I promise.
- You’re not with the company, aren’t you?
- No, I’m not. I just want to help. You know, be a Good Samaritan. I mean, it does look like you could use an ear.
-I guess I don’t have that many friends to talk to.
-I’m all ears!!-  Her eyes seemed to have a warm glow, and Takahiro felt his face flushing red.
Now that he was facing her, she looked somehow familiar. There was something about her voice that made her sound trustworthy.  They went back to the only bench near the frozen lake. Takahiro kept rubbing and blowing his hands, while wandering why didn’t he bring any gloves with him.
-So… You don’t know I’m in a band…
-NEWS, right? I do know, I just don’t like it.
-What? Why?
-It doesn’t explode your potential. I think you could do a lot better. That’s all.
A smirk appeared on his lips. The image of a tall and dark stranger with big and piercing eyes crossed his mind.
-Someone told me the same thing, a few days ago.
-Someone?
-Is this guy. I don’t really know him. But he keeps insisting that I join his band. A rock band, can you believe that?
-Ah!! Him. Yes. You should go, give it a try.
- Him?? Do you know him?
-Hmmm… You could say so, yes.
- Did he send you?  ‘Cause, in that case, you can tell him I’m not interested.
-No one sent me.  I’m here on my own behalf. And, I still think you should give it a try. In life, you only regret the things you didn’t try.
-Still, it’s rock. I don’t think I’ll like it. I’m very fund of my vocal arrangements.
-The question is… Are you happy?  ‘Cause if you honestly tell me you are, I’ll walk away and won’t bother you anymore. You’ll never see me again, I swear.
In that moment, a large bird threw into a tailspin over the surface of the frozen lake, capturing to what it looked like a sewer rat. The majestic movement caught the boy’s attention. His dark deep eyes looked over the animal’s outline as it flew away with its prey, bathed by the moon light.  There was something about hawks that always managed to amaze him. Whether it was their hunting skills, the braveness, or maybe the immense sense of freedom they seemed to have. To be able to fly away, not caring about consequences or responsibilities, it sounded like a dream. But, for the hawk, that was a reality.  A surge of envy crossed Takahiro’s heart.
-You could be like him, you know?
-Eh? - He was still immersed in his thoughts.
-The hawk. There’s a lot from that animal inside you. You could be free too. All you have to do is give it a try.
Takahiro dropped his jaw. She reached her hand and put it back in place.
-Don’t be so surprised. You’re and open book to me.
-Are you a psychic?
-Ahh! Isn’t it beautiful? A child’s innocence, it’s rare to find these days.
- Eh?? I’m not…
-You’re 16, I know. Let’s just say I can see the future.
-The future… You’re weird! - A silly smile appeared on his face.
-We’re all weird in our own twisted little way. -  Her skin showed a silver glow under the moon light.
-And here I am, thinking I was the only one…
-Look, - a giggle escaped her mouth- you can’t lose if you just try, OK?  This band, it will change your life, for good. It will give you the freedom you want. It’ll be like love a first sight, I promise.
-How would I know? I’ve never been in love…- The innocence flew out of his eyes that couldn’t stand the pressure of meeting his partner’s.
-When the time comes, you’ll know. – The words resonated in the back of his head.
When he finally had the courage to lift up his head again, his strange companion was gone. No trace was left of her.  The moon, shining on the frozen surface of the lake, seemed to have disappeared with her too.
As if he just woke up from a long dream, he stretched and started the long walk home, wishing his father wasn’t back from his tour, yet. “Just a little more peace, please.”
(Two days later)
Takahiro walked out of the dance studio, after saying good-bye to everybody.  These dance lessons were getting too ridiculous. The new choreography was a matter of laugh, and he didn’t know how much he could bear it anymore. It’s not like he could refuse to dance, or anything like it. In the last MV, he had to use a funny little astronaut suit, and damn, that thing was hot.  His thoughts wandered between the dance choreography and if smoking was really a good strategy to get kicked out of that hell.
-Yo!!
The tall and dark stranger, with big piercing eyes, was waiting outside the studio.
-Oh! It’s you again. Hi. - This wasn’t the right moment, really.
-Hi! I realized I never actually introduced myself properly. I’m so sorry. I’m Toru, Yamashita Toru. - The bow left him almost at Takahiro’s height.
Behind Toru’s head, he could see the usual park.  In it, a tall onne-san, with long curly hair and silvery skin was calling a hawk. The bird crossed the sky over the boy’s heads, uttering a shrill howl, and landing on the lady’s arm. A wide smile appeared on his face.
-Oh! Right. It’s Ok. I’ve been acting like a douchebag, I’m sorry. I decided I’ll go see a rehearsal.
- Really? That’s great!!Oh, wait, what was your name again?

-Taka, you can call me Taka (hawk). 

0 comments:

Post a Comment