Fanpage

A cold night of January: Fate?

|

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Title: A cold night of January
Fandom: ONE OK ROCK
Chapter: 3 
Characters/Pairing: Toru/Stranger
Rating: all ages
Genre: mistery, friendship, slice of life.
Disclaimer: you may find a terrible grammar, be warned.
It was late that night. 16 years old Yamashita Toru, got tired of waiting in the sidewalk of an ordinary convenience store. The expected never showed up.  He turned on his heels, and started walking to the train station.
Kicking cans all along the way; he muttered his frustration out, low enough to let his voice be covered by sound of the tinkling garbage. “He pisses me off! I don’t understand. It’s just a fucking rehearsal! Why wouldn’t he come? Plus, he could do so much better… He’s wasting his entire potential.” His thoughts wandered from his band to the intended vocalist. He kept walking, almost by inertia, trusting his muscular memory to orientate his footsteps. He never realized he was actually going in the wrong direction.
Suddenly, his feet found no support. A loud crack sound was heard. In the middle of the fall, Toru was getting ready to find his nose crashed against the concrete of the road. But, that never happened. Somehow, he floated away from the concrete, and got back on his feet again. His face turned into a very recognizable “WTF” in a matter of micro-seconds. 
-Aren’t you going to thank me?-
The mysterious voice got him by surprise. He immediately turned back only to find a tall onne-san standing behind. She had long dark blonde hair, and silvery skin. Or at least, that’s how it shined under the street lights. He kept staring at her for a few seconds, and when he opened his mouth to speak, the words got stuck in his throat, unable to produce a decent “What?”
-I said: Aren’t you going to thank me? I just saved you from busting your face in the street.-
-Thank you. It just that… You took me by surprise. I’m sorry.-
-It’s OK. Can I talk to you about something?
Toru looked at the watch on his wrist. He was going to lose the last train.
-Ah… Maybe in another time. I have to go. I’m sorry. Bye!-
He ran as fast as he could, realizing how far he actually was from the station. For some reason, he lost track of where he was going, and that never happened to him before. Especially, not when going to the station, a road he walked every day.
He finally caught the train on time. Almost breathless, he sat on the first sit he saw, and laid his head on the back. Thereupon, he closed his eyes out of pure fatigue. He was lucky tomorrow was Sunday, and he didn’t have school. He thought he’ll be able to get a good sleep.
-Is now a good time? - The voice sounded somehow familiar.
Startled, he turned his head both sides trying to locate the owner of the voice. He didn’t record how much time had passed, but he didn’t remember to see anyone on that wagon when he entered.
 There, a few seats away, was the strange onne-san, staring at him, as if there was nothing weird on the fact that she just appeared in the train. Some chills ran on Toru’s spine.
-Um… How did you get here? - He would’ve sworn he saw her walking the opposite way.
-So you want me to answer a question… That’s not fair-
-Eh? Ok, what do you want from me? Why are you following me? - He got impatient.
-What makes you think I’m following you?-
-Well, you’re here. That’s pretty obvious! - This was too much. He was too tired, and didn’t have the energy required to deal with a crazy girl.
-Maybe, I was coming here on the first place. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
Somehow, the girl’s expression was very calm. “Maybe…” thought Toru, “I’m not her first victim.” Luckily, in the meantime, the train got to the station where he had to go down. He left in a hurry, making sure he wasn’t being followed. The last thing he needed was some creepy girl stalking him at home.
In the morning, he took extra time to have a proper breakfast. It seemed like ages ago, since the last time he had his grilled white salmon and his barley tea in the same meal.  Everything was going great. If things go as he expected, that stubborn brat would agree to his petition, and they would finally have a vocalist. That’s all he wanted.
He left his house, and headed towards the train station. This time, he wasn’t going to the usual convenience store. No, this time, he headed to a dance studio located in Shibuya, Tokyo. So it was going to be a long ride of at least 4 hours.
Once in the shinkansen, he sat right next to the window, and watched the landscape run by as it turned into a soft lullaby, dragging him to a deep sleep. Suddenly, a loud woman’s voice woke him up. “We inform the passengers we’ll be arriving to Tokyo soon. Please, gather your luggage and wait in your seats until the unity stops the motion.” The trip felt shorter than the last time. “This is a good sign”, he thought.
He checked his watch, while leaving the station. He still had 2 hours left, before he headed to Shibuya and an incipient headache, that he better took care of it soon, or he’ll regret it later. He decided to walk around the city a little bit. Looking for a pharmacy, he went through several streets, not before asking to also several strangers. Toru finally found one, and began his hunt for a bottle of painkillers.
It was a small place. There was a large hall, with an equally large counter on one side, and several shelves on the other. He stood in front of a rack that had a sign on top that said “Analgesics”. Under it, there were hundreds of different brands, which made the decision very difficult for him.
Grabbing five different boxes, he headed to the counter to see if maybe, the employee would help him decide. Behind it, there was girl, dressed with a short, white coat. She seemed to be arranging some boxes in the rack placed close to wall. Since he had time to spare; he thought it’ll be better to let her finish before asking for his painkillers. He turned around, and paid more attention to the shelves in front of him.
There was this large shelf, with many different glass jars. They appeared to be old, and had herbal plant content, with tags on them. The names were pretty strange also. Eruca sativa and Mulinum spinosum, were the only ones he could at least try to pronounce. There was also a big one, with pretty little bluish flowers inside. Giving in to curiosity, he reached for it.
-No! Don’t touch that!
Scared, and a little embarrassed, Toru turned around to face the owner of the voice. There, dressing the short coat he saw before, was the strange girl from the previous night.
-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. But that jar has digitalis purpurea on it. It’s been there forever, but God knows how much active principle has left. It is best to leave it as decoration, if you don’t want to die.
-I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that. - With his current blush, it took a while for him to get out his shock. - Wait a minute… Aren’t you that girl from last night?! How is it…?
-It’s OK.  I can see for these – she pointed to the boxes on the counter- that this isn’t a good time. I won’t bother you for now.
That answer surprised him. He was really preparing for a thread of incessant questions. But instead of a fanatical stalker, he got a good employee, who apparently just saved his life. Playing with his fingers, in a very awkward attitude, the words didn’t seem to leave his mouth.
-T-t-tha-than… UGhhh! - His body language showed a complete defeat. - Ano… It’s OK. You can ask me anything you want.
-What kind of pain are you suffering from?
-Eh?? Is that what you wanted to know all this time?
-Don’t be silly. You obviously don’t know what drug to pick. I’m just trying to help you.
-Oh... OK. – He bent his head trying to hide his sudden blush. -  It’s like a pulsating pain, in the back of my head.
-Hmmm… OK. – She turned around and grabbed another box form one on the shelves behind her. She made a soft giggle while doing so.
-What is it so funny? - The effort to sound angry was useless. His headache wasn’t incipient anymore.
-That’s guilt.
-Eh?
-The pain. My grandmother used to say that a pulsating pain meant that you were doing something wrong, for selfish reasons. Therefore, the guilt for doing so caused the pain.
-A so… Well, I don’t know what you’re talking about. -  A pang of sudden pain forced him to flinch.
-A so… well, apparently you do. - She handed him a little green box that said “ergotamine”.
-Why do you care? I can’t tell if you’re just trying to be nice, or…
-I am. I’m trying to do something nice for you, but you don’t let me.
-Eh? What is this got to do with my headache? That’s the only problem I have, and you’ve done enough for me. Thank you.
Angry, and suffering another pang, he headed to the door.  He was then blocked by the girl. She suddenly seemed taller, and more threatening. Covering his forehead with her hand, she pushed him back inside the local. A flash came out of nowhere, and all of the sudden, Toru found himself sitting in one of the waiting benches inside the pharmacy.
The pain was certainly gone, but he could still feel discomfort in his head. For some reason, that pulsating “pain” was still there, but without the pain itself.
The girl was standing in front of him. Leaning on the counter, crossed legs and arms, she watched him with a calm expression.
-Are you feeling any better? - There was a strange glow in her eyes that he couldn’t figure out entirely.
-Ah, I don’t know… What just happened?
-I took away the pain. You should feel better, if that’s the only thing that was wrong with you…
-I’m sorry. -The guilt was starting to become a burden. -  There are other things that are wrong with me. I know that you probably mean right with this, but, please, understand me. I can’t trust a stalker…
- Like you expect that boy to do, I understand.
-What? What boy? What are you talking ab…
-That boy from the combini store. The one who’s in that pretty boy band.
-What? I’m not stalking him!!
-Oh, really? Chasing him everywhere, forcing him to accept your proposal, even if you haven’t introduce yourself properly…
-No! No… I… just…- his voice faded away.
She was right. He was being selfish. Insisting all the time, still thinking that it would work, even if it hasn’t. After all these months, without any positive result, and he still insisted in taking the same strategy. Blindly, foolishly, insisting. Maybe, it was stalking after all.
-You know? Everything would be easier if you just start over. Make a clean slate, and introduce yourself.
-After all that has happened, I’m not sure he will…
-He will. Trust me. Everything is better when you’re honest. -  At last, the glow on her eyes was nothing else than honest concern, and the satisfaction of a job well done.

That night.

Like the weird onne-san assured him, everything went strangely well after he introduced himself. Taka (he realized he never actually asked him what his real name was), finally accepted, and went to see a rehearsal. After an entire hour arguing about the melody of the new song, they decided to take a break.
Toru went to the building’s terrace. He found Taka with his head high, gazing upon the night sky. The poor light made his hair look almost as dark as the night. Toru got closer, and sat next to him. He picked his cigars and offered him one.
-No, thanks. I’m quitting.
-Eh? Really? The cancer ads got you, ha?
-Not really. More like my future got me.
-Your future?
-Yup. I’ve decided I’ll join the band.
Toru spat his cigar out.-Hontou?! Yokatta!
Taka smiled back at him. He seemed at peace; as if he had made amends with himself.-Can I ask you something?
-Yeah, sure. -  Toru took a puff of his cigar.
-How did you know I’d say yes?
-I just thought that if I waited long enough, and insisted long enough, you would eventually come to your senses.
-But, why did you wait? Why me?
Toru searched his mind for an answer. But nothing he could find seemed enough. He didn’t know why either.
-I guess… I… I waited for you because… honestly… I didn’t want anyone else.
-Why not? What is it with us?
-I don’t know… Hahahaha… Fate?
Toru laughed at his ridiculous answer and hoped Taka did the same. For some reason, he didn’t.
-Yeah, fate.

His eyes, bright as the stars, said everything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment